The closure of cinemas had an immediate and devastating effect across the whole value chain. Some of those theatres are now seriously concerned about their future: they lost millions while closed, reopening dates keep shifting in certain countries and the confidence of the public in attending screenings is still open to question, even after reopening with strict safety measures. The crisis did create an opportunity for emerging on-demand platforms to grow their film audience, and reports suggest they have made a considerable impact. Cinemas also found innovative ways to maintain the link with their audiences. How is the near and mid-term future looking for arthouse cinemas and multiplexes? What will be the impact of the last few months on the theatrical industry?
– Florence Almozini, Film at Lincoln Center (USA)
– Nathanael Karmitz, mk2 (France)
– Ted Mundorff, Arclight (USA)
– Jane Shao, Lumière Pavilions (China)
– Kim Van Der Werff, Focus Arnhem, member of Europa Cinemas (Netherlands)